THE LITTLE SHAKE CHURCH IN THE PINES
The history of our church is a story of Christians, stepping out in faith to do God’s will. In 1934, eight people desired to be a part of a Bible believing, non-denominational (self-governing) church in the Florence area. With the help of the Lane County Convention (comprised of Christian Churches in other locations) land was purchased and the first church was constructed at Second and Kingwood. It was dedicated on July 13, 1936, with 35 members.
FLORENCE CHRISTIAN CHURCH AT SECOND AND IVY
As the church family grew, they added to the original building. They soon outgrew that facility, and decided to relocate and build at our current location at Second and Ivy. The size of the vision of this little church was HUGE at the time and without their vision, we would not be here today. They planned and built the new church in two phases. The first phase, the “education wing,” was completed in 1958. Sunday morning worship services were held in the Fellowship Hall for seven years. In 1965 the current sanctuary was dedicated. As we grew, the fireside room and outdoor classrooms were added.
MOVING FORWARD AND BUILDING FOR COMMUNITY
What a glorious history of faithfully building for the future of our church family and community.
Those original eight people with their vision in 1934 did not know how far their faith would reach into the future. They stepped up to the plate in 1934. The church grew and the people stepped up to the plate in the mid 1950’s to start and finish the process of building our current facility. It’s our turn to step up to the plate and go to bat for the future of our church family, our children, our grandchildren, our friends, neighbors, and community.
God continues to be at work in our congregation as we look for ways to love God and love people in Florence.