Florence Christian Church logo

About Us

Story of FCC

“The Little Shake Church in the Pines”

The history of our church is a story of Christians, stepping out in faith to do God’s will. In 1934, eight people desired to be a part of a Bible believing, non-denominational (self-governing) church in the Florence area. With the help of the Lane County Convention (comprised of Christian Churches in other locations) land was purchased and the first church was constructed at Second and Kingwood. It was dedicated on July 13, 1936, with 35 members.

Florence Christian Church at Second and Ivy

As the church family grew, they added to the original building. They soon outgrew that facility, and decided to relocate and build at our current location at Second and Ivy. The size of the vision of this little church was HUGE at the time and without their vision, we would not be here today. They planned and built the new church in two phases. The first phase, the “education wing,” was completed in 1958. Sunday morning worship services were held in the Fellowship Hall for seven years. In 1965 the current sanctuary was dedicated. As we grew, the fireside room and outdoor classrooms were added.

Continuing to Move Forward in Faith and Building for Community

What a glorious history of faithfully building for the future of our church family and community. The original eight people have gone on to be with the Lord, but several of the group that envisioned and helped to build our current facility are still with us, and are actively involved in the leadership to build our new facility on 35th and Oak. We all have that same opportunity to get involved in some way; to be part of Building for Community.

Those original eight people with their vision in 1934 did not know how far their faith would reach into the future. They stepped up to the plate in 1934. The church grew and the people stepped up to the plate in the mid 1950’s to start and finish the process of building our current facility. It’s our turn to step up to the plate and go to bat for the future of our church family, our children, our grandchildren, our friends, neighbors, and community.

We are so blessed that our leadership and members listened to the promptings of the Lord in 2000, and had the foresight to locate and purchase the property on 35th and Oak. At that time, the larger tracts of land were quickly disappearing into the housing market. As of June 2004, we have owned that property free and clear.

Take a look at us now.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon